Friday, February 1, 2013

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas


Mmmmmmmmm . . .tender, shredded chicken.......savory green chiles.......creamy, melty monteray jack cheese .......... oh my, my.  This recipe is (singing) awesome!  And I cannot take credit for it.  I am merely passing it on.  I first enjoyed these enchiladas in college.  A friend of a friend used to make them.  Not sure what she's up to anymore, but I can assure you that I told my friend whom I do still keep in touch with that I made these enchiladas this week.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients:
1 Cup Onion, diced
2 T Butter, 3 T Butter (5 in total)
4 oz Can of Green Chiles
1/4 Cup Flour
3/4 tsp Salt (optional)
1 Cup Sour Cream
1/2 Cup Green Bell Pepper, Diced
2 Cups Cooked Chicken, Shredded
1 T Ground Coriander
2 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth (I prefer low sodium)
1 1/2 Cups Monteray Jack Cheese, Shredded
12, 6-inch Flour Tortillas

In skillet, melt 2 T butter and add the onion and green pepper.  Saute until softened.  Transfer to large bowl and add the chicken and green chiles.  

In skillet, melt 3 T butter and stir in the flour and corriander.  It will form a thick paste or dough.  A little at a time, start adding the broth.  Stir in a little at a time and mix thoroughly with a whisk.  Continue to add a little broth at a time and keep whisking until all broth has been added and the sauce is smooth.  Once smooth, add the sour cream and 1/2 cup of cheese and whisk until sauce is nice and velvety and the sour cream and cheese is fully incorporated.  At this point, taste it.  If it needs salt - add the salt (all or part of it).  

Take 1/2 Cup of the sauce and add it to the chicken.  Stir together.

Grease a 9x 13 baking dish.  Take 1 cup of the sauce and spread it on the bottom of the pan.  

Fill each tortilla with approximately 1/4 cup of the filling and place in the pan as you go.  Make two rows of 6 rolled enchiladas.   

Pour remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

Bake uncovered for 25 minutes in 350 degree F oven.  

034
These can be made a day ahead of time and store in the fridge.  When ready to bake, bake covered for 1/2 hour and then remove the lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment