Friday, April 18, 2014

Healthy Pancakes

Pancakes.  I cannot lie.  They are a family compromise for us.  My hubby and daughter love french toast.  I really, really dislike french toast.  Waffles.  I'm all about waffles.  And typically, that's what I make - but my waffle iron died a while back and Santa did not bring me one for Christmas. Mind you, that was my second waffle maker that died on me in 6 years. PANCAKES.  That's our compromise.  Have you ever seen The Family Guy skit on pancakes?  HIL.AR.I.OUS.  Our little guy loves pancakes - which is probably why that episode makes me laugh so much.  Any how, back to the actual food . . . .

Pancakes - warm, buttery, comfort food all the way.  But what about when your hubby decides to go low-carb?  That's when you make these.  I haven't run the recipe through a calorie counter, but I imagine the nutritional information is pretty amazing.  At the very least, they TASTE amazing.  I'm always skeptical on all these healthy recipes you see . . .especially when they contain banana.  Not everyone loves banana or coconut people!  Sheesh.  But these pancakes, wow - I couldn't believe how good they were.  They really tasted like pancakes.  We ate them plain with a side of bacon.  No butter.  No syrup.  They didn't even need them.  They were that yummy without.  I actually thought they would be good with a dollop of applesauce on top (but we were without any in the pantry).   As well, they didn't even taste like banana or peanuty . . .just pancake-y!Give them a whirl, you won't be disappointed!


Healthy Pancakes
Makes approximately 24 Silver-Dollar sized Pancakes

Ingredients
1 Large Banana (or two small) - preferably very ripe
2 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup Oatmeal
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter

Step 1:  In a bowl, mash up the banana.  Add the eggs and mix well (I recommend using a fork). 

Step 2:  Add the remaining ingredients and thoroughly combine.

Step 3:  Cook like a regular pancake on a hot griddle.

Step 4:  Enjoy :)

Please note:  You could easily make these using a food processor or blender.  I used my mini-food processor and it ground up the oatmeal so fine that no one would even know that it was in there.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment