Friday, May 9, 2014

Buttermilk Pie

Sundays . . .pie day.  At least that's what it was during my youth.  Every Sunday we would have pie for dessert (after our big chicken dinner).  I've been trying to reinstate that tradition with my own little family (sans the big chicken dinner). Long gone are the days of the fried chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes and mixed veggies.  However, pie every Sunday?  Yeah, I think I can do that.

Fast forward to the most recent weekend . . .what kind of pie should make?  Not really in the mood for a fruit pie.  Not really in the mood for a pudding pie.  I'm out of nuts.  But I have this dang buttermilk in the fridge that needs to get used . . .wonder if I can conjure up a pie with buttermilk.  You betcha.  And it is amazing.  

The pie is super simple to make.  You will need an unbaked pie shell.  Use your favorite recipe or purchase one at the store.  I am not a pie crust hero.  Mine are ugly, but taste good.  Here is a link to the recipe I typically use for pie crust.  The filling for the pie is made in one bowl . . .lots of eggs and sugar and butter and . .. Y-U-M.  Did I mention that it get's all mixed up in one bowl??  Hooray!  Less clean-up :)  

Once baked, it totally reminds me a bit of a creme brulee . . .but better.  The edges and top get a little caramelized and center is so smooth and delicious.  I am definitely adding this to my regular rotation of pies!


Buttermilk Pie
Ingredients:

1 Cup Buttermilk
8 Tablespoons Butter (1 stick), melted
2 Cups Sugar
2 Tablespoons Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
4 Large Eggs
4 Egg Yolks
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1 Unbaked Pie Crust (bottom crust only)

Step 1:  Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit and place the rack on the lowest level.  
Step 2:  In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients:  sugar, flour and salt.  
Step 3:  Add the buttermilk, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla.  Mix until smooth. Slowly add in your room temp melted butter and whisk until smooth.  
Step 4:  Place the pie pan on top of a cookie sheet.  Carefully pour the buttermilk pie filling into the prepared pie shell.  Place in oven on the lowest rack and bake for 55 to 60 minutes.  The filling should be barely set in the middle and top will be golden brown.  Cool to room temp before serving.

Storage:  Cover any leftover pie tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge.  Please note, this pie should be eaten within 3 days.  Otherwise it starts to taste like the fridge . . eww!


1 comment:

  1. My mom drove me about 100 miles on one of our adventures to try buttermilk pie. Thank you for the recipe. Stopping by from Making the World Cuter Party. Carrie, A Mother's Shadow

    ReplyDelete