Friday, January 9, 2015

Pannekoeken (Puffy Pancake)

Pannekooken or Pannekoeken or Dutch Baby or . . .Puffy Pancake?  Regardless of how you spell or say it, it is super yummy.  Pannekoeken is a type of pancake that is baked in a pie plate via the oven and it puffs up around the edge.  There was once a restaurant called Panekoeken and when ever someone would order one, the server would briskly walk to the table with the order while yelling "Pannekoekennnnnnnnnnn!".  And I cannot tell a lie, it had been a very long time since I had one.  And then I watched a Christmas episode of Bob's Burgers and they reference a Dutch Baby.  And then I had to have one.  No mistake.  I needed one ASAP.

What makes this so yummy though?  I love it because it's almost like a cross between a pancake and popover.  It puffs, has a crusty edge and an almost custard/eggy (yet firm) bottom.  I just love the texture.  And the taste is divine by itself, rich and buttery.  However, you can top it however you would like.  Please note, in my photo, I made a "double".  I have an extra-large, deep dish round pan that holds the volume of a standard cake mix.  To make the recipe below, use a standard pie dish.


Pannekoeken (Puffy Pancake) 
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Flour
1 Cup Chopped Apples (optional)
2 TB Butter, Melted
Cinnamon
Sugar

Step 1:  Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  Meanwhile, mix eggs, milk and flour together in a bowl.  Add chopped apples (if using).  
Step 2:  Pour the melted butter into the bottom of a pie pan.  Pour in the batter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.  Bake 15 - 20 minutes.  The sides will puff up over the edge - and that's part of what makes this awesome!  

Serve immediately.  To serve, slice into wedges and eat as you would a regular pancake.  I served mine with a cherry compote.  This makes a great breakfast treat or simple dessert.  Amazing.











No comments:

Post a Comment