So, I feel kinda weird about posting a recipe for basil pesto. It's just so easy to make . . .but here I go. And here is why: I LOVE BASIL PESTO. Can I get an Amen?
Yield: Approx. 1 pint
2 Cups Packed Fresh Basil Leaves
2 Cloves of Garlic, peeled
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
2/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
In a food processor, add your basil leaves to the bowl of the machine along with the garlic and cheese. Pulse a few time to begin the breakdown of the leaves and garlic. Scrape down the sides and add a generous shake of pepper and Kosher Salt and also add the pine nuts. Replace the lid and begin to process. While the machine is running, slowly stream-in the olive oil. Once all the olive oil is combined with the leaves, taste. Does it need more salt or pepper? If so, add to-taste.
To store, place in a jar and store in the fridge.
Here are few of my favorite ways to use pesto:
- Eat it straight off a spoon
- Schmear it on a piece of toast and top with tomatoes and bacon
- Take a fresh tomato, dice it and toss with pesto for an easy side dish
- Top a tortilla with pesto, add sliced tomato and some mozzarella. Place it under the broiler until the cheese melts. Viola! Quick and easy pesto pizza!
- Toss with pasta - add in some chicken and your favorite veggies for a yummy hot or cold dish