Friday, August 14, 2015

Unstuffed Tomatoes

Ahhhhhhhh . . .the dog days of summer.  Hot, humid days and the kids are almost ready to go back to school.  Scratch that (kids are almost ready to go back to school).  I am ready for the kids to go back to school ;)

In the meantime, why not feed them something easy and fresh while we enjoy these last few days of summer?  If you are like me, your tomatoes are going crazy!  I had planned on using some of my bumper crop of tomatoes to make 'stuffed tomatoes'.  However, I realized that my sweet, precious, -baby-boy-who-isn't-a-baby-but-really-a-little-and-mischevious-boy had decided to take a bite out of each tomato that I had picked and placed on the counter.  Yes.  I said each tomato.  Not one tomato.  Not two tomato.  But all 5 of them.  And as my memory flashed back, I can pinpoint the time of the crime . ..we were getting ready to leave the house and I had heard him say "mmmmmmmmmm...tomatoes yummy!" And then we were out the door.  

Anyhow, I decided to make the tomatoes regardless.    I had my heart set on them for dinner.  So, I took the recipe and made them 'unstuffed'.  I removed the 'bites' and used the remaining tomato parts.  What else was this mom supposed to do?  Any how, this recipe is not so much the visual show-stopper as when they are stuffed, but equally delicious.  


Unstuffed Tomatoes
Serves 2 as a Main Dish or 4 as a Side Dish

Ingredients:
3-4 Medium Sized Fresh Diced Tomatoes 
12 oz Mushrooms
2 TB Low-Sodium Soy Sauce 
3 TB Butter
2 Green Onions
1 Clove Garlic, Minced
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

Step 1:  Spray a 9x9 baking dish with nonstick spray.  Set aside.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  While the oven is heating, wash the tomatoes.  Cut each tomato in half and remove the core, seeds and excess "slimy guts" part.  We really just want the firm flesh for this recipe.  Dice the firm flesh part of the tomato into medium sized pieces and place in the baking dish.

Step 2:  Finely chop the fresh mushrooms or pulse in a food processor.  Set aside.  Clean and prepare the green onions.  Thinly slice them.  Set aside.  Next, In a medium saute pan, melt the butter.  Add the mushrooms, green onions, soy sauce and garlic to the pan.  Saute over medium high heat until the butter and any liquid is absorbed and the mushroom mixture appears 'dry' and hot.

Step 3:  With a spoon, place "dollops" of the mushroom mixture on top of the tomatoes in the baking dish.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Step 7:  Place baking dish into oven and bake for 15 minutes or so - until the Parmesan cheese browns.  Serve hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment