Friday, October 9, 2015

Baked Oatmeal Bars

In my never-ending quest for new oatmeal recipes, I have stumbled upon this one from here.  They are packed with healthy stuff (whole grains, nuts, fruit) and fairly low-calorie and definitely low-sugar.  You know me, always struggling to be healthy.  The thing I liked about this recipe is the mix n match of ingredients.  I used what I had in the house - which happened to be walnuts, sesame seeds and prune.  It doesn't sound that appetizing, but it truly is yummy;  they have a chewy, cakey texture that I absolutely love.  I think these would be very good with apricots/coconut and cannot wait to try them again going that route.  


Baked Oatmeal Bars
Serves 9

 Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 Cup Chopped Nuts of Choice (almonds, walnuts, etc)
1/2 Cup Dried Fruit of Choice (apricot, raisin, etc)
1/4 Cup Seeds of Choice (sesame, pumpkin, sunflower, etc)
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 and 1/4 Cups Skim Milk
1 Egg
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Step 1:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease/Spray a 9x9 baking dish and set aside.
Step 2:  In a medium sized bowl, mix together the oats, nuts, fruit, seeds, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside.
Step 3:  In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, egg and vanilla.  Mix until well combined.
Step 4:  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine.
Step 5:  Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 40 minutes.

Note:  
A.  The only sweetness is from the dried fruit.  If you feel this needs sugar, add about a 1/4 cup to the dry ingredients.
B.  These will likely only last about 3-4 days sitting on the counter or in the fridge.  Wrap individually and freeze for extended life. 

Update:  I've found my ultimate combo!! I use unsweetened coconut, cacao nibs and dried apricots.  AMAZING!


No comments:

Post a Comment