Friday, November 6, 2015

Mexi-Corn and Black Beans

I grew up not eating corn.  I can't say I never had it - after all, I did eat school hot lunch and they occasionally served corn.  However, I was raised in a family that didn't believe corn was a vegetable.  We were taught that it is a grain.  Specifically, a grain that is grown on the farm and then later fed to the animals. Therefore, you would never find corn being served at any dinner my parents served (even the holidays).  Fast forward a few decades to today . . .I still coincide with those beliefs.  But everyone once in a while I do have to give in and serve corn.  And when I do - it's usually this recipe.  The sweetness of the corn and meatiness of the beans are laced with taco seasoning that combines the flavors into a fantastic flavorful side dish.  Serve it up today!



Mexi-Corn and Black Beans
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1 (14.5 oz) Can of Corn with Sweet Peppers
1 (14.5 oz) Can of Black Beans
1 Teaspoon Taco Seasoning
1 Tablespoon Butter

Open and drain the can of corn and empty into a large bowl.  Open, drain, and rinse the can of black beans (that sludge the coats the beans just totally grosses me out!).  Add the drained/rinsed beans to corn.  Add the taco seasoning to the corn/beans.  Add the butter.  Microwave the entire bowl of corny/black bean goodness until heated thoroughly (2-3 minutes, depending on your m'wave).  Remove from the microwave, stir again to distribute the melted butter and make sure everything is hot.  Serve and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment