Friday, January 18, 2019

Mexican Zuccini

Our family has made a few dietary changes over the past year or so . . .a little more low-carb than what we used to be.  We've cut out rice, breads and potatoes for the most part.  I'm not saying we never eat any of those anymore . . .but we have cut out most of it.  And when you are going that route - you find more creative ways to cook and serve vegetables.  This is recipe is one of them.  It is sooooooo good.  I really impressed myself with it.  We were making a green chile-type chicken and needed a side dish.  this is what I served and wow  . . .fantastic.


Mexican Zucchini
Serves 4

Ingredients:
2-3 Small Zucchini's 
1/2 Cup Red Onion (coarsely chopped) 
1 TB Butter
1 TB Olive Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Powder
1 Teaspoon Lime Juice
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Shredded Mexican Cheese (I used a Kraft blend)
Cilantro for Garnish

Step 1:  Wash the zucchini and remove the ends.  Cut into thick sticks.  I usually cut my zucchini in half.  Then, I cut piece in half again (now I have 4 pieces).  I take one of those pieces and cut it into either 4 or 6 pieces, depending on the size of the zucchini.  Repeat that step with remaining zucchini.

Step 2:  In a small bowl or cup, combine the water and lime juice.  Set aside.

Step 3:  In a medium to large size skillet, add the olive oil and butter.  Heat over medium until butter melts.  Add the zucchini,  chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne.  Stir to combine/coat the zucchini.  Cook until the zucchini begins to brown on the bottom.  Stir again and then add the red onion and diluted lime juice - stir everything in the pan to combine.  Cook for another five minutes or until the water is evaporated.

Step 4:  Remove from heat and sprinkle with the cheese and cilantro.  Serve and enjoy!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment