Friday, January 4, 2013

Black Bean Burritos

I am a firm believer that some of the best meals are forced through creativity with what's remaining in the fridge and cupboards.  AKA . . .I need to go grocery shopping.  Upon perusing the pantry, I realized I had two cans of black beans.  No brainer here - that told me I had to use one of those cans today.  But how was I going to use it?  Typically, we keep black beans around for my jambalaya or stuffed peppers . . but neither of those were going to happen today.  I really didn't want to go to the store either, so whatever I made was restricted to my barren back stock of goods.  And I can't complain, I came up with some pretty delicious black bean burritos!  Please note, I like things spicy.  So, if you think ketchup is spicy - you want to cut back on the seasoning in this recipe.

015

Black Bean Burritos

1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed (I prefer Wild Harvest brand black beans)
1.5 Cups frozen Bell Pepper Pieces with Onion (Bird's Eye makes a pepper/onion blend)
1 TB Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Salsa (I use Essential Everyday Medium Salsa)
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Chile Powder
1 tsp Chopped Garlic
4 TB Sour Cream
4 Flour Tortillas (medium sized)

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil and the pepper/onion blend.  Saute until thawed.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.  Continue to cook until the liquid is evaporated and everything is hot.

To serve, spread each tortilla with 1 TB of sour cream.  Next, divide the bean mixture evenly amongst the tortillas.  Fold and roll each tortilla into burrito form and enjoy!

This recipe makes 4 burritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment