Friday, August 8, 2014

Hungarian Pork Chops with Pan Sauce

We've been in a dinner rut lately.  Can't lie.  I've had a lack of ambition.  In fact, I've been sooooooo lazy - that I've even been watching tv lately.  I know, I know.  That's so not me.  But something good came out of it:  Hungarian Pork Chops.  
I was watching PBS and Sara Moulton was on.  She made these Hungarian Pork Cutlets and they looked amazing.   Delicious breaded pork, creamy sauce . . .and I love, love, love paprika!  

Dinner rut be gone!  The next night I made my own version of her recipe.  I used what I had on hand, which was pork chops.  I skipped the shallot and used white onion instead (likely a little bolder in flavor) and also added in mushrooms (because we are crazy like that with the shrooms).  Viola!  Yum. Yum. Yum.


Hungarian Pork Chops with Pan Sauce
Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 Pork Chops
1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
Salt and Pepper
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 Small White Onion, Diced Fine
8 oz Sliced Mushrooms
1 1/2 Tablespoons Paprika
1 Tablespoon Caraway Seeds
1 and 1/2 Cup Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
1/4 Cup Sour Cream

Step 1:  Season the pork chops with salt and pepper.  
Step 2:  Add the oil to a large frying pan and heat over medium high heat.  
Step 3:  Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl or pie plate, add the flour.  Dredge the pork chops in the flour and place in the fry pan.  Cook until golden brown on the bottom then flip and cook until golden brown on the other side.  Remove from the fry pan and set aside.
Step 4:  Add the onion and mushrooms to the saucepan and cook until the onions are translucent and beginning to brown.  
Step 5:  Add the paprika and caraway seeds to the onion and stir to combine. 
Step 6:  Add the chicken broth to the pan and stir to combine.  Be sure to scrape up all the bits and pieces of flour and pork that are stuck to the pan.  Let simmer for 2-3 minutes so the flavors can combine.
Step 7:  Return the pork chops to the pan, cover and let cook until the chops are cooked through.**
Step 8:  Remove the chops and place on platter.  Add sour cream to the pan and stir thoroughly to combine and form a sauce.  Pour the sauce over the chops to serve.

What should you serve it with?  Well, we served ours with spaetzle and steamed broccoli.  It would also be yummy served over egg noodles instead of spaetzle.

**Pork should be cooked until the internal temp reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit.  Then let it rest for 3 minutes before serving.  For more information, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment