Friday, January 15, 2016

Healthier Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Yep, me and my oatmeal . . back at it again!  I'm beginning to think that my face should be on the oatmeal canister . . .but nobody wants to see that ;)  Any how, I ran across this recipe on Pinterest  and it intrigued me.  So, I modified it a bit to what I had in the house (regular oats, not quick cooking ones) - and it resulted in soft, puffy-yet-chewy, super yummy cookies.  I also used honey as the sweetener (which is different than the original recipe as well).  Furthermore, I portioned my cookies out with a tablespoon-sized scooper - and the recipe then yielded 21 cookies for me.  If you are an oatmeal raisin fan and love a more healthy alternative to the traditional recipe - this one is for you!  And truth be told  . ..I've been eating them for breakfast.  Hey, they are oatmeal and fruit!



Healthier Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Approximately 20 Cookies

Ingredients:
1 Cups Oats
3/4 Cup + 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour 
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Melted
1 Large Egg
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Raisins

Step 1:  In a large bowl, combine the the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir until well combined. 

Step 2:  In a separate bowl, add the melted butter, egg and vanilla stir until well combined.  Next, add in the honey and stir until combined.

Step 3:  Pour the liquid mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients.  Mix until just incorporated.  Fold in the raisins. Place in the fridge and let it chill for 30 minutes.  This will give the oats time to soften and have the batter turn thick and more dough-like.

Step 4:  Preheat the oven to 325°Fahrenheit.  Prepare a baking sheet as needed.  Scoop out the cookie dough - 1 Tablespoon at a time.  They will spread a little, so don't put them too close together (no need to flatten them).  Bake at 325°F for 9-10 minutes, just until the edges are beginning to slightly brown. Remove from the oven and cool on the pan for 10 minutes before removing them.  Once removed, let them finish cooling before putting away.




No comments:

Post a Comment