A while back I heard about this really cool thing called Foodie Penpals. It started back in 2011 and has been going strong for about one and half years. It is the brainchild of Lindsay over at The Lean Green Bean. Each month, the program keeps growing and growing.
How it works: after filing out a request form to join the program, you will be paired with two different people. One will be someone who you will send a package to and the other person you are pared with will send you a package. Sound like fun? I mean, come on, who doesn't love to get something awesome in the mail!
I received my package from a lady named Shannon.
And I was sooooo excited when I received it! I've been highly stressed out from work lately and when I had picked up the mail one evening and say I had a package - it literally made my day :) I could hardly wait to rip into it to see what was inside! And once I got inside the house, I couldn't contain my excitement - I opened it up right away.
Look at all the super fun and yummy stuff . . .all with a little local flavor from her geographical area.
Let's take a closer look:
1. Krispy Kreme Apple Pie and Cherry Pie - now, I am familiar with Krispy Kreme, but I had no idea they had anything other than donuts. Nor do we have Krispy Kreme in this region. I've already eaten the cherry pie (breakfast anyone??) . . and I highly recommend heating it up a smidge! Yum-O. I thought I would wait and share the apple one with my family. Maybe. Of course, I might not . ..only time will tell ;)
2. Moon Pie - AWESOME. This was actually the first thing I ate. Immediately. Once again, we don't have Moon Pie's available to us around these here parts. But, I have had them when I traveled. So I knew all too well that I liked them. And it was delicious. I did share a bit with my teenage daughter, knowing that she had never had one. Her comment was, "ohhhhhhh . . .it's like a s'more!".
3. Tortuga Key Lime Rum Cake - I do love anything key lime. ANYTHING. I've had a lime problem my whole life. I've also had a severe cake addiction my whole life. 'Nuff Said.
4. Yuca Chips - These were far better than I anticipated. I'm not a big chip eater, so I was a little hesitant about eating them. However, once opened and I tasted the first one - I was hooked! They were super crunchy (like a kettle chip) with a great mild flavor. Not greasy either (which why I don't like chips). I would totally eat this again. And again.
5. The Best Mexican Cheese Dip Mix - my penpal raved about this mix. You're supposed to combine it with some Velveeta and milk and then serve with chips. It also came with a recipe on the back for The Best Chicken Enchiladas. I have not made this yet . . .for fear of annihilating the entire bowl. I just know it's gonna be delish!
6. Ground Flax Seed - I loved this! I used to be a flax seed regular and ate it on everything and baked it into many things. And then some where along the way, it some how dropped off my regular grocery list. Receiving this in the package was like a little reminder to get back on track!
7. Woodman Apiaries Pure Honey - yum. A local honey. I haven't cracked it yet . . .but will very, very soon. I've got a great honey-glazed chicken recipe that is calling me . . .
8. La Place Taste of Florida Sweet and Hot Sauce - OMG. It's like Shannon read my mind. I love sweet and hot sauces! My favorite way to consume them is with a little cream cheese, a little sauce and pretzels.
9. Peppermint Spoons - great for hot chocolate! Or delicious in my homemade mocha :)
10. Water Enhancers - what a great little treat :) This is something I never buy, but was so happy to recieve! She sent along some Arnie Palmer iced tea lemonade ones and some lime margarita ones. Very delicious and perfect for at work.
I cannot say enough - THANK YOU! I loved receiving this foodie package. It was such a day brightener to get something awesome in the mail! THANK YOU again Shannon!
If you are interested in participating in the Foodie Penpals Program - then hop on over to The Lean Green Bean and follow her instructions. You don't even have to have a blog! And you can sign up for 1 month at a time. I totally recommend joining!