Friday, April 26, 2013

Cowboy Joe Casserole

Do you ever just feel a little down and out and a little bit tired but you're not sure why?  Well, I call it the winter funk.  Everybody is just sick and tired of the snow.  And that's where I was when I had been cruising the interwebs and found a recipe for Cowboy Lasagna.  I figured this could be the last hurrah for winter . . .and then get the heck outta here and bring on spring.  

It sounded pretty good:  ground beef, onion, tomato, cheese, tots.   What could go wrong?



This recipe is certainly easy enough to throw together.  I'll warn you though - 1) it's like a sloppy joe casserole with tater tots and is very sweet.  2) If you are not a corn fan, omit the corn.  That's what I'll be doing the next time I make this.

Ick.   Corn.  

Corn is best consumed by itself - not mixed in with other stuff.  And it's not a vegetable.  It's a grain.  'Nuff said.

Cowboy Joe Casserole
1.5 lbs Ground Beef
1 Small Onion, diced
1 Can Tomato Soup (condensed)
3 TB Mustard Powder
2 TB Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Can of Corn (optional), drained
1 Small Jar Pickled Pepperocini's, diced
1 TB Worcestershire Sauce
2 Cups Cheese (I used Colby)
1 Bag Tater Tots

Spray pan and set aside.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large skillet, add the meat, onion, mustard powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire and ground black pepper.  Cook on medium high heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks.  Cook until well done.  At this point, stir in the can of tomato soup (do not dilute), the corn, and the pepperocini's.  Stir well.  Pour into the prepared pan.  Evenly distribute the cheese.  Next, evenly distribute the tator tots.  Bake for 1/2 hour - 45 minutes or until the tots are golden brown.  


I do have to admit though, this did taste better the next day as leftovers for lunch :)

A few notes for the next time I make this:
1)  My family (myself included) thought this was a little sweet - I would ditch the tomato soup and use salsa or diced tomatoes instead.
2) I would also omit the corn


No comments:

Post a Comment