Thursday, April 11, 2013

Oatmeal Cake with Coconut Caramel Glaze

Comfort Food.  In April.  This is wrong.  I shouldn't need comfort food in APRIL.  For Pete's Sake!  April showers are supposed to bring May flowers . . . and by showers, it should be RAIN showers, not snow showers!  However, here we are in MN with snow showers in April.  I really shouldn't be that surprised.  After all, I am  a lifelong Minnesotan (except for those college years).  And many, many moons ago - it snowed on my senior junior prom night . . .which was in May.  Any who, as I am rambling . ..  the snow showers thwarted the spring in my step and the grayness outside coupled with the cold, wet snow made me hungry for Oatmeal Cake.  By far, this is one of my favorite cakes.  Whenever my mom would make it, I could hardly stand the wait to eat it.  Or to sneak/pick at the coconut when she wasn't looking :)



Mmmmmmmm . .. so soft, moist and laced with cinnamon.  You can't even tell there is oatmeal in it.  And look at that frosting . . .if that's what you want to call it.  I prefer to call it caramelly, coconutty l-o-v-e.  Yes, yes . . .my love.  Just look at it . ...all browned with all that butter and toasted - how could I not pick a strand or two of coconut off the top when Ma wasn't cooking?



Oatmeal Cake
1 1/2 Cups Boiling Water
1 Cup Quick-Cooking Oats
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Shortening
2 Eggs
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 1/2 Cup Flour
1 Teaspoon Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

Place oats into bowl and pour the boiling water over them.  Stir and let stand until cool (I usually do this at night and let it sit until morning).  

Combine the sugars, shortening, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla into mixer bowl and mix well.  Add in the oatmeal continue to mix.  Add remaining ingredients and all combined. 

Pour into greased 13x9 cake pan.  Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes.

Coconut Caramel Glaze
6 Tablespoons Butter
1/4 Cup Milk
1 Cup Nuts (Walnuts or Pecans are great)
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Coconut
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients over medium heat until the sugar and butter are melted and incorporated together.  Spread the warm mixture over the top of the cake.  Broil until browned.


And I will leave you with these final words:  yes, you can have it for breakfast.  It's oatmeal.  Especially since it's April.  And still snowing.





No comments:

Post a Comment