Oh my, my . . .these bars are simply divine. And cute. And easy. I found the recipe via Pinterest . . it was the first recipe I had ever tried from Pinterest. . . .and I've since made it multiple times. They are that good. The recipe was via a blog called A Little Bit Crunchy A Little Bit Rock and Roll. When I had done a quick Pinterest search, a bazillion hits came up with these sugar cookie bars . . .and not all from the same source. So, I looked at a quite a few - and they were all the same. Usually, it was just the frosting recipe that varied. Could all these people be wrong?
Be sure to bust out your fat pants - because these are (in the words of the dearly departed Robert Palmer) SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE!
Sugar Cookie Bars
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3. Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
4. Add the vanilla to the creamed mixture and then slowly add the dry ingredients.
5. Press into a greased 13 x 18 inch pan (jelly roll pan) and bake at 375F for 10-15 minutes.
6. Cool and frost (see directions below).
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 tablespoons of milk
food coloring (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, beat the shortening and butter until creamy.
2. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar.
3. Gradually add the 5 tablespoons of milk until you reach your desired constancy.