Friday, August 9, 2013

Fruit Crisp

It seems that I have an excess amount of fruit around the house this week.  Totally my fault.  I bought too much. Oh, what a bummer (sarcasm).  And by too much . .. I really mean that I bought more than what my toddler and I can eat.  It makes me really note that it's the teenager who eats most of the fruit around the house.  And she's not here this week.  So, I've opted to make a crisp or crumble out of my surplus of fruit.  


Fruit Crisp
Ingredients:

For the Fruity Part:
6 Cups Fruit (cut into small, bite size pieces) - I used cherries, blueberries, rhubarb and apples
1 Tablespoon Corn Starch
1 Tablespoon Flour
1 Tablespoon Red Wine 
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 Teaspoon Salt

For the Crisp (Topping) Part:
3/4 Cup Oatmeal
3/4 Cup Cups Flour
3/4 Cup Cups Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Butter, chilled
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon


Step 1:  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  You will also need a 8x8 pan with tall sides OR an extra-deep (deep) dish pie pan.

Step 2:  Combine the fruit, flour, corn starch, red wine, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl.  Toss together until all fruit is coated.  Set aside.

Isn't all this fruit gorgeous?  This photo was taken before mixing the dry ingredients with it.


Step 3:  Cut the butter into small pieces.  I usually cut it into tablespoon pats, and then quarter each square.

Step 4:  In a bowl, combine the small butter pieces, oatmeal, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.

Step 5:  Stir the fruit again and then pour into the baking dish and level it out.  Then pour on the "topping".  Be sure to spread out the topping all the way to the edges.  Yuuuuuuuum!

Step 6:  Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes, or until fruit is soft and top is lightly browned.  Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment