Friday, February 5, 2016

Roasted Garbanzo Beans

Healthy Snack Alert!  High in fiber, fills you up and it's yummy.  Back in my food retail management days . .sometimes we had garbanzo beans on the menu (aka chickpeas).  If there was a lot leftover, I'd roast them up for the staff with a drizzle of oil . . .so easy!  I'd pop them in the oven and boom!  A few minutes later - a tasty, crunchy snack for the people who made my job easier.  
I found myself craving these the other week . . .I think it was all the upcoming food ads for the Superbowl and recipes and such.  I'm not a huge snack or munchy person.  However - all those ads in magazines and online for Superbowl this cracker and Superbowl that cracker . . .left me wanting something munchy.  So, I revived this oldy but goody recipe.  

It is so easy to make . . and they are great right out of the oven.  If you don't devour them right away, you can store them in an airtight container for up to a week.  However once stored - they tend to lose their crunch.  They are still amazingly delish . . .just not crunchy.  

Still not sold?  Well, let me tell you this:  I don't even really like garbanzo beans.  For real.  If they are in a soup or salad etc etc . . .I pick them out and avoid them like the plague.  I find the taste and texture completely vial.  However, something about roasting these  . . .completely turns them into something magical and yummy.  True story.


Roasted Garbanzo Beans
Serves Several as a Snack

2 (15.5 oz) Cans Garbanzo Beans
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Seasoning Blend of Your Choice (I like Nature's Seasoning)

Step 1:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Step 2:  Open up the cans of beans and drain them in a colander.  Rinse them well.  Then, you will want to dry them.  An easy way to do this is to line a baking sheet with a clean kitchen towel or some paper towels and pour the beans onto the towel(s).  By using a rimmed baking sheet - it will help prevent the beans from rolling around and escaping to the floor.  Once on the towel(s), rub them with the towels to remove the excess water.  

Step 3:  Remove the towel(s) from the baking sheet and leave the beans on the baking sheet.  Drizzle with the olive oil and give the beans a good stir with a spatula to get them coated.

Step 4:  Place in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes . . . until dark brown.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with the seasoning of your choice.  Be sure to let them cool long enough so you don't burn yourself eating them.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment