Friday, May 29, 2015

Roasted Beet and Green Apple Salad

My husband absolutely detests beets.  I can't even begin to describe how much he loathes them.  And I recently realized how much I actually miss and love, love, love beets.  Seriously, my parents grew them in the garden when I was a kid and I always looked forward to eating them.  My college roomie and I shared that love for beets . . . and her parents used to keep us in supply during the harvest months.  Then, I eventually married a man who hates beets.  How did that even happen?   And over time, I quit making them.  Dumb, right?  I didn't think much about it  . . until the other day when we were at a party and beets were being served.  And then I knew I had to make this salad as soon as possible.  I just couldn't wait.  My daughter and I will just need to eat the whole salad ourselves . . . oh darn!


Roasted Beet & Green Apple Salad
Serves 4-6
Ingredients:

3-4 Medium Sized Beets Roasted
1 Large Tart Green Apple
1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1/2 Cup Toasted Walnuts
1/4 Cup Soft Cheese of Choice (goat cheese, whipped cream cheese, or Gorgonzola)

Step 1:  Once your roasted beets have cooled, peel and dice into bite sized pieces.  Add them to a large bowl.  Wash and core the apple.  Dice into similar sized pieces as the dice beet.  Add to the bowl.  Set aside.

Step 2:  In a small bowl, add the olive oil, red wine vinegar and thyme.  Mix together thoroughly with a fork.  Pour over the beets and apples.  Mix to combine.

Step 3:  To serve, dot the soft across the salad and sprinkle with walnuts.  

Refrigerate any leftovers.

Are you unsure about how to roast beets?  Click here to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment