Friday, September 6, 2013

Wisconsin Style Beer Brats

I always thought that brats were always just okay.  I was never a big fan of them.  I get it.  It's a sausage that's usually served in a bun.  Not that exciting if you ask me.  Until I met my husband.  Who previously lived in Wisconsin (home of beer and brats).  Then it became a different story.  So, apparently there is a right way and a wrong way to make brats.  Here is the right way.


Wisconsin Style Beer Brats

Ingredients:
1 package Brats, uncooked (not the precooked kind)
1 stick of Butter
1 large Onion, sliced (or two small ones)
1 large can or bottle of Beer
Buns



Step 1:  Prep your onions and roughly chop them.

Step 2:  In a pot, add the butter, onions and beer.  Then add the raw brats.



Step 3:  Bring to a boil and and cook for about a 1/2 hour (or until the brats are cooked through).  Preheat the grill.


Step 4:  Remove the brats from the liquid.  Continue to cook down the liquid until it reduces into a golden, thick liquid.  

If you cook it too long - it will begin to separate and the onion will be come sticky.  It's not necessarily bad, but can become bitter at that point (depending on the beer you used).** Place reduced sauce in serving dish.

Step 5:  Place brats on the grill.  The goal is just to "crisp up" the skin.  As well, feel free to toast or grill the buns.
Step 6:  To serve, place a brat on the bun and top with the onion/beer sauce.  I like to eat mine with mustard - my hubby says that ketchup is sacrilegious.  And I'm okay with that.


**Note:  in my photo of the finished brat, you'll notice that the onion/beer sauce did brown.  It still tastes good, but depending on the brew you use - it can become bitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment